Monday, October 10, 2011

THE BLACK ANGELS

Here, I have another band to introduce to all of you, I love doing this. A friend from sunny California introduced me to some genius neo psychedelic-grunge music, and sent me some CD's. One of the bands called the Black Angels particulary caught my attention, and ever since I cannot stop listening to them. Their name derives from the Velvet Underground's - 'the Black Angels' Death Song', and in my opinion you can always tell a band is going to be good when they give themselves a name that's a pun on a serious legend. (Think the Dandy Warhols, the Brian Jonestown Massacre). I would highly recommend them to anyone who enjoys bluesy guitar riffs, mixed with tambourines & drums, mixed with echoes & barely there vocals and the occasional sitar, basically what I would call the modern day Velvet Underground, or what my sister would call 'druggy music'. Their music is like several different versions of Venus In Furs. It's nice to know that there is actually a band around who make their own music, and yet re-create the sixties gig vibe, I can imagine them being absolutely intense live. It's been a long time since I have found a (newish) band that I like so much, there's always the occasional band who lure me in with one song, but I end up disliking the rest of their music. But I haven't liked a band this much since I first discovered Led Zeppelin's second album. (See, I told you they were that good). Highly recommended to any one of you who is stuck in the mystical, magical land of 1969. Below are three of my favourite songs - listen, & listend L O U D.



No comments:

Post a Comment