Sunday, June 26, 2011

STYLE GUIDE: BRIAN JONES

I have decided to do these Style Guides posts frequently, as I am so inspired in what I wear by specific people, I thought it'd be good to share. I decided to do the basics of the outfit on Polyvore, and then show my own take on the outfit with my own photo & clothes.

Brian Jones is one of the most influential people to me when it comes to dress sense, as are most of the Rolling Stones. Although he is male, the dandy masculine look can so easily be done. Afterall, he did influence the way Anita Pallenberg dressed. Brian was clearly influenced by the dandy look of the 19th & early 20th century, but improved it by adding bohemian influences of the time such as feather boas & tassels.

Essentials: - a velvet blazer. I had been looking around for one for such a long time, and then all of a sudden there were loads. You can find lots in masculine clothes sections of antique stores, if not on ebay. In the Winter months I'm sure you'll see them in high street stores as the seventies style is back in again for next fall/winter. If not velvet, choose corduroy or crushed velvet.

- Straight leg trousers. I don't own any straight leg trousers so I just stuck with a pair of black skinny jeans. If you want to go all the way maybe get some pinstripe jeans or flares will go great.

- Shirt. A pussy bow blouse in black or white (dependant on the colour of the blazer) or polka dot. Wear buttoned up to the top, add a neckscarf & tie together to make the look more masculine.

- Shoes. Pointy leather boots, cowboy boots, winkle pickers, pointy brogues, lace ups, you know the style.

- Hat. Brian loved his floppy hats, go for one in brown or black so it doesn't look too colourful or over the top. Asos have a great choice.

Finally add accessories. Feather boas, leather belts, feather earrings, big rings, anything you like the look of. Brian's dress sense was so eye catching and recognisable. I'm sure there's so much you can find lying around to make this outfit. My favourite thing about his style is it's so definitive, yet it can either be exxagerated or played down. The photo above of me was taken a few months back, I'm wearing a Biba jacket, Topshop blouse, Topshop boots, Topshop jeans and an H&M hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment