Friday, October 1, 2010

LE DANDY DU GROTESQUE

I have been majorly lacking inspiration again recently, so apologies for the upteenth time for the lack of posts. Yesterday I spent the day in Camden with my friend. I remembered this guy from the last time I was there... inside one of the 'dungeons' where all the statuesque horses are and there are low-lit rooms full of tatty leather suitacases and antiques... there was a man hidden in a corner, and it was like a scene you would see in a black & white film or read in a book about bohemians in the late 19th century.
He was dressed head to toe in a suit that looked like it had had a rough time with a white collared shirt, the pointiest black shoes, a top hat, a cane by his side though I doubt he actually needed it to walk with, long greying scraggly hair and a little hoop earring. His eyes were large and grey and he had a little side smile which he made every now & then as if to show appreciation for everything or just genuine happiness. His face was perfectly carved and he was highly attractive, and he was just sitting there, casually in the corner, dressed like a dandy, playing an impressive jazz piece on the piano. Nobody else really acknowledged that he was even there and just strolled past him as if he was a completely normal person to see, but I had never seen anything like it. I wanted to take his photo but as normal I was lacking a camera. It made me happy that people like him still exist in the world.
Yesterday, I saw him again, he looked the same, but this time he smiled at me, approached me and entised me into his shop. He showed me around and I was talking to him about owning a vintage store of my own, he had the most beautiful London accent. He is probably the most beautiful man I have ever seen and I don't know how else to describe him. But if you're ever in Camden, go find him and just watch him for a little while, and you'll see what I mean.
Outfit:
- Hat from Warehouse but I've bent it to look more floppy
- Velvet green blazer from vintage on ebay
- Navy blue polka dot oversized shirt from Topshop
- Black & white bag from a vintage store in Lewes
- Brown ankle boots from vintage on ebay

No comments:

Post a Comment